Another recipe loved by EVERYONE, not just dieters or low-carbers!
- 1 cup finely chopped, fresh tomatoes (240 ml)
- 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes, with juices (400 gm)
- 2 Tb. minced green onions (30 ml)
- 2 Tb. minced fresh cilantro (30 ml – may add more or less, to taste, I use 4-6 Tb.)
- 1/2 Haas avocado, diced (optional – about 150 gm)
- 1 Tb. fresh lime juice (15 ml)
- 1 Tb. Splenda™ Granular (15 ml – optional, I never use it)
- 1/4 tsp. salt (1.25 ml)
- 2 tsp. black pepper (10 ml)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (2.5 ml)
- 1 oz. chopped black olives (optional – 30 gm)
- roasted minced hot jalapeno or habanera pepper OR 1 Tb. hot pepper sauce (15 ml)
- 1 tsp. Carb Counters™ Thick It Up (5ml – optional – or use 1/4-1/2 tsp. guar gum)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and allow flavors to combine for a while before serving.
Keeps in refrigerator for 4-7 days.
VARIATIONS: If not using thickener, I recommend straining off most of the juices (save them to use when seasoning ground beef for taco salads or wraps?) You can use all canned tomatoes (2 cans total) with excellent results, or use 2 cans Mexican-style canned tomatoes (I prefer Rotel™) and skip the lime juice and green chilies.
12 servings, each about 1/2 cup: 33 cal, 2 g fat (0 g sat.), 4 g carb (1 g fiber)
ORIGINAL COPYRIGHT 2000, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED