Origins of original recipe lost to time – Google it and you’ll see what I mean.
I really need to thank all of my brothers for making and raving about the full-sugar version so many times that I finally broke down over Christmas and converted it so that I could try it, too. They were RIGHT, people…. this stuff is DELICIOUS. I can’t help but think that it is far “safer” to drink it without all the sugar, too – morning-after “sweet” hangovers are really terrible, as I recall!
- 750 ml 190-proof Everclear (Use Vodka if you can’t find Everclear, or want your final product to be weaker. May also reduce Everclear amount by 1/3)
- 3 cups of Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
- 3 Liter Jug of Apple Cider or Juice – Use a brand like Langers with 100% juice and no added sugar if you can’t find fresh-pressed organic cider
- 8 cups water
- 4 fl. oz. FIBERFIT sweetened soluble fiber (or another sweetener of choice equal to 4 cups sugar)
- 1/4 cup molasses *
- 1/4 cup Grade B real maple syrup * (Grade A is OK too, of course. I am just spoiled from growing up in Maine and insist on Grade B.)
- 6 Cinnamon Sticks (or equivalent, mine were 5-6″ in length, each)
- Mason jars or decorative bottles – enough for a 6 quart yield
Combine everything EXCEPT the alcohol in a large stock pot. Bring it to a mild simmer and continue to heat, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, to allow the syrups to melt completely and the flavors to meld. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature before adding the alcohol. Pick out cinnamon sticks and set aside. Divide the moonshine between the mason jars. Put a reserved cinnamon stick in each jar before sealing, if you wish. Enjoy over ice, but with caution! It is much stronger than it tastes.
YIELD: 6 quarts
NUTRITION (per 2-fluid-ounce serving): 92 calories; 5g carbohydrate
* The molasses and maple syrup can be omitted for even lower sugar and carbs, but as the original recipe calls for a mix of brown and white sugars, adding them really helps to balance the flavors. If you choose to omit them, the nutritional data changes to 88 calories and 3.9 carbs per 2 fluid ounces.
We prefer to drink this served “on the rock”. I bought my molds at Bed Bath & Beyond. DON’T DROP THEM WHEN FROZEN – the silicone tops can take it, but the plastic bottoms will shatter just like glass. I killed one already doing that (while taking the picture for this recipe, in fact.) “They” say you can make crystal clear ice rocks by using distilled water, but I enjoy seeing the patterns, personally.
Have Questions on an ingredient? Check my INGREDIENT GUIDEIf you have still not tried FIBERFIT .... why on Earth not? You will love it - No matter WHAT diet you are on. Meanwhile, if you're enjoying the fruits of my labors from the last fifteen years and the total absence of intrusive ads on this site, feel free to buy me a Miller Lite. Or a muscle car. Your choice, totally.