I created this to celebrate my birthday way back in 2006, and it quickly became a family favorite. This recipe also works as muffins or quick bread, and is delicious with or without frosting. Just 5.4 net carbs per slice!
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tb. Fiberfit or 2 cups Splenda*
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 1 cup oil (I like grapeseed – it’s healthier than many liquid oils, more economical/easier to use than coconut, and tastes better in desserts than olive oil.)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
In large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the eggs, sweetener, oil, molasses and vanilla to the well. *If using a powdered sweetener, add it to the dry ingredients instead.
Beat by hand, starting with wet ingredients in center and gradually incorporating dry ingredients from outer edges, until batter is smooth. Do not over-mix. Blend in the grated carrots and pecans last.
Scrape batter out into a well-greased tube pan. Bake in 325 F oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes until it tests done.
Cool cake on a rack in pan for 20-30 minutes or as long as manufacturer suggests. Remove cake from pan and cool completely before frosting.
ALL-PURPOSE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 oz. cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tb. Fiberfit or 1 cup Splenda*
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (you can substitute other flavors or even lemon juice to taste)
Blend softened cream cheese with sweetener and vanilla. Whip cream until thickened. Fold thickened cream into cream cheese mixture. Do your best to save enough of it to actually frost the cake!
SERVES: 12 – PER SERVING: 5.4 net carbs – 534 calories; 51.9g total fat (just 13g saturated); 10.8g carb (5.3g fiber; 2.5g sugar) 10.5g protein.
* Fiberfit has just 1 (beneficial fiber) carb per teaspoon with zero sugar. Using granular Splenda instead of Fiberfit adds FIFTY FOUR carbs to the total recipe – that is an additional 4.5 (nasty maltodextrin filler) carbs PER SERVING! ORDER FIBERFIT TODAY
IF YOU OMIT THE FROSTING, per serving: 4.3 net carbs – 398 calories; 38.3g total fat (just 4.5g saturated); 9.2g carb (4.8g fiber; 2.4g sugar) 8.1g protein
Have Questions on an ingredient? Check my INGREDIENT GUIDEIf you have still not tried FIBERFIT .... why on Earth not? You will love it - No matter WHAT diet you are on. Meanwhile, if you're enjoying the fruits of my labors from the last fifteen years and the total absence of intrusive ads on this site, feel free to buy me a Miller Lite. Or a muscle car. Your choice, totally.